- Bodybuilders often advise women to avoid squats and deadlifts, saying these exercises thicken the midsection. They’re wrong.
- Often, the cause of a bodybuilder’s blocky waist is the abuse of drugs.
- Top level bikini competitors regularly do squats and deadlifts and it hasn’t negatively impacted their physiques.
- Core exercises like planks, weighted crunches, and side bends lead to far greater levels of abdominal wall activation than squats and deads.
- Heavy, frequent ab and oblique training can create a blocky waist or “turtle shell” abs.
- To fix a thick waist, you may need to reduce or stop all direct ab/oblique training.
Check out this article for the details!